Anglų - Lietuvių žodynas
Kompiuterinis žodynas internete nemokamai
Žodžio paaiškinimas anglų kalba:
- noun: The superior of a convent.
- noun: Used as a title for such a person.
Angliško žodžio naudojimo pavyzdys:
- Later in that same article, Coffman notes that the use of fish in a spiritual fast was cause for great culinary creativity in the Medieval kitchen, and a French abbess is credited for the creation of the divine dish which I hesitate to categorize as “fish soup” called bouillabaisse.
- Moreover, many a time and in many things I observed their customs, for fear of worse, and being asked by the chief of the ladies, her whom they call abbess, if
- Although the abbess was a person exactly after his own heart, my education as a pensioner devolved much on an excellent old mother who had adopted the tenets of the Jansenists, with perhaps a still further tendency towards the reformed doctrines, than those of Port Royal.
- The abbess is the only person who knows precisely the location of the service, knowledge which was passed down for one thousand years from abbess to abbess.
- In this instance the abbess was the head of all; and this accounts for Bede's calling the house a nunnery.