Anglų - Lietuvių žodynas
Kompiuterinis žodynas internete nemokamai
Žodžio paaiškinimas anglų kalba:
- verb-transitive: To bring (something) into a state of tension: bend a bow.
- verb-transitive: To cause to assume a curved or angular shape: bend a piece of iron into a horseshoe.
- verb-transitive: To force to assume a different direction or shape, according to one's own purpose: "Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events” ( Robert F. Kennedy).
- verb-transitive: To misrepresent; distort: bend the truth.
- verb-transitive: To relax or make an exception to: bend a rule to allow more members into the club.
- verb-transitive: To cause to swerve from a straight line; deflect.
- verb-transitive: To render submissive; subdue.
- verb-transitive: To apply (the mind) closely: "The weary naval officer goes to bed at night having bent his brain all day to a scheme of victory” ( Jack Beatty).
- verb-transitive: Nautical To fasten: bend a mainsail onto the boom.
- verb-intransitive: To deviate from a straight line or position: The lane bends to the right at the bridge.
- verb-intransitive: To assume a curved, crooked, or angular form or direction: The saplings bent in the wind.
- verb-intransitive: To incline the body; stoop.
- verb-intransitive: To make a concession; yield.
- verb-intransitive: To apply oneself closely; concentrate: She bent to her task.
- noun: The act or fact of bending.
- noun: The state of being bent.
- noun: Something bent: a bend in the road.
- noun: Nautical The thick planks in a ship's side; wales.
- noun: Decompression sickness. Used with the.
- idiom: around the bend Slang Insane; crazy.
- idiom: bend (one's) elbow Slang To drink alcoholic beverages.
- idiom: bend out of shape Slang To annoy or anger.
- idiom: bend To make an effort greater than is required.
- idiom: bend (someone's) ear Slang To talk to at length, usually excessively.
- noun: Heraldry A band passing from the upper dexter corner of an escutcheon to the lower sinister corner.
- noun: Nautical A knot that joins a rope to a rope or another object.